IMA protests medical Bill

IMPHAL, Jan 2 : Indian Medical Association, Manipur State Branch staged a sit in protest at IMA House, Lamphelpat, today in connection with the declaration of the January 2 as Black Day by the Indian Medical Association (IMA).
Dr Ravi Wankhedar, National president of IMA, had categorically stated that the association would vehemently oppose the National Medical Commission Bill 2017.
Dr RN Tandon, secretary general of IMA also regarded the Bill as anti-poor, anti-people, non-representative, undemocratic and anti-federal in nature.
On the other hand, Dr Kh Sulochana Devi, president of IMA, Manipur Branch and Dr Sachindra Laishram, secretary, stated that National Medical Commission Bill 2017 is a pro-private management bill which would pave way for widespread corruption in the country.
They claimed that the Bill removes all regulations which are required to establish a medical college.
Under this Bill, one will not need any permission to establish a medical college and any institute can increase their PG/UG seats.
As per the Bill, only 40 percent of the total seats in a private medical college can be regulated by the Government and the private college will fix the rate for the remaining 60 per cent of the seats thus leading to immense difficulties for poor students as well as those belonging to ST/SC classes, in getting medical education.
The State medical councils which are sovereign bodies will come directly under the NMC, they stated adding that medical education will become even more expensive.
The Bill closes the door for Indian medical graduates while opening up new opportunities for foreign doctors and foreign educated medical graduates, they added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.