‘MDS works, fund utilization studied’

IMPHAL, Feb 7: The State Government has examined projects taken up by the Manipur Development Society (MDS) which are still incomplete and the amounts utilised so far against different works, stated Chief Minister N Biren in response to a question raised by Opposition MLA Dr Chaltonlien Amo during question hour in the State Assembly today.
To a query raised by Dr Chaltonlien Amo about the Integrated Tourist Destination taken up at Sipuikon village under Tipaimukh sub-division of Pherzawl district with MDS as the work agency, Biren stated that three work orders were issued to three contractors for development of the Integrated Tourist Destination.
The first work order was issued on January 31, 2011, the second on March 2, 2015 and the third on April 24, 2015.
The amount sanctioned by the Government of India for the Integrated Tourist Destination of Rs 500 lakh and Rs 400 lakh had been already released.
The amount deposited with MDS was Rs 358.15 out of which Rs 261.94 lakh had been released to contractors.
Construction of kitchen cum store room has been completed by 70 per cent, tourist lodge by 65 per cent, compound fence with steel gate by 55 per cent and parking area and approach road by 50 per cent., Biren informed the House.
All the works left incomplete by MDS have been examined and there are many works which would take a lot of time and two/three times the balanced amount. Nonetheless, the Government has been working to complete all the incomplete works, the Chief Minister assured.
To a question raised by the Congress MLA about re-introduction of Imphal-Silchar flight service, Biren replied that the proposal to re-introduce Imphal-Silchar flight service has been approved but it has not been finalised yet.
The Chief Minister, while replying to a query raised by MLA D Korungthang, informed the House that Rs 2798.648 lakh was released during the financial year 2015-16 for development of hill areas under MSDP.
Out of the total amount of Rs 2798.648 lakh, Rs 1026.48 lakh was allotted to Senapati district, Rs 525 lakh to Imphal East district and Rs 491 lakh to Thoubal district.
Allotments for Chandel, Ukhrul, Tamenglong and Churachandpur have not been released yet, Biren said.
Agriculture Minister V Hangkhanlian stated that crops worth Rs 1265.39 lakh were destroyed by floods last year.
Replying to a query raised by MLA Okram Surjakumar, Hangkhanlian said that crops cultivated over 79,159 hectares were destroyed or damaged by floods last year including 23,118 hectares in Imphal East, 21,443 hectares in Imphal West, 17,067 hectares in Bishnupur, 17,103 hectares in Thoubal, 78 hectares in Chandel, 320 hectares in Churachandpur, 10 hectares in Tamenglong and 20 hectares in Ukhrul. For the extensive damages done to standing crops, a report has been sent to the Relief and Disaster Management Department with a proposal to provide assistance to affected farmers, Hangkhanlian said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.