Student ‘electrocuted’, foul play cry raised

    02-Dec-2019
Our Correspondent
THOUBAL, Dec 1: A class X student and a hosteller of Wisdom Foundation, Khangabok allegedly got electrocuted at around 10 this morning and it sparked a public uproar.
The deceased student has been identified as Md Tarique Ajiz alias Scientist (15) s/o Md Zamaruddin of Yairipok Tulihal Konjin Leikai.
According to information gathered from the school authority and police, it is suspected that Md Tarique Ajiz came into contact with a live electric wire as he tried to hang clothes after washing them on the verandah of his hostel.
Even as Tarique was immediately rushed to Thoubal District Hospital, he succumbed to the injuries.
On the other hand, family members of the student contended that they were informed about the death only at 1 pm.
When they reached Thoubal District Hospital, they found Tarique dead but they did not find any official of the school authority who could take responsibility.
Doctors at the hospital reportedly told them that Tarique was brought dead.
Expressing strong suspicion of the circumstances leading to the death of Tarique, the family members maintained that the student’s hand should have bore at least  a slight mark of burning if the hands came into contact with live wire.
Later, an aggrieved group of people marched to the school to talk with the school authority but they were blocked by police.
As the mob tried to break open the school’s main gate, police fired several rounds of smoke bombs and thus drove back the mob.
Thoubal SP Dr S Ibomcha too came to the scene and brought the situation under control.
Even though the annual examination of the school is scheduled to commence tomorrow, parents have taken away many students from the hostel.
It is said that Tarique Ajiz was supposed to appear this year’s Class X examination of the Board of Secondary Education Manipur.