Conrad assures protection of all citizens against HNLC
Newmai News Network
SHILLONG, May 20: The Chief Minister of Meghalaya, Conrad Sangma has assured the protection of all citizens of Meghalaya in the wake of the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) threatening to indiscriminately shoot non-tribals.
It can be recalled here that, on May 17 the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) had issued a press release threatening to "indiscriminately shoot non – tribals" if the police do not stop "harassing" family members and sympathizers of the outfit. “…if they do so, we shall fire indiscriminately to non tribals be they beggars or businessmen, be the high class or low class. The police should not underestimate us. With an automatic assault rifle we can shoot upto ten non tribal people in a minute. We are serious about it. Do not provoke us,” HNLC general secretary Sainkupar Nongtraw had stated in the statement issued last week.
The HNLC threat came six days after the outfit had gunned down one Romeo Lyngdoh after branding him as a "police informer". While the Superintendent of Police (SP), East Khasi Hills (EKH) district, Claudia Lyngwa had maintained that Lyngdoh was an over – ground worker of the outfit who was siphoning off funds gathered for the HNLC, the outfit, meanwhile, had categorically denied any links with Lyngdoh.
Following this development, the Meghalaya Chief Minister said, “We have been very clear from day one that all are citizens of the Meghalaya and it is the duty of the government to ensure that all lives are protected.” Conrad Sangma said this said in Shillong on Monday even as he termed the HNLC’s threat as "unwarranted".
Conrad Sangma said that "this threat" is not something which is warranted while adding, “Definitely whatever appropriate action and measures that need to be taken, the state government will take to ensure all lives are protected.