New Delhi, Oct 7 : The University Grants Commission (UGC) on Wednesday announced a list of 24 self-styled, unrecognised institu- tions in the country, terming them as fake with maximum of them operating from Uttar Pradesh followed by Delhi.
“Students and public are informed that currently 24 self-styled, unrecognised institutions are functioning in contravention of the UGC Act, which have been declared as fake universities and these are not empowered to confer any degree,” UGC Secretary Rajnish Jain said.
While eight of these universities are from Uttar Pradesh, Delhi has seven, and Odisha and West Bengal two each.
Karnataka, Kerala, Maha-rashtra, Puducherry have one fake university each.
Fake Universities list
1) Delhi—Commercial University Limited, Daryaganj; United Nations University; Vocational University; ADR-Centric Juridical University; Indian Institution of Science & Engineering; Viswakarma Open University for self employment; Adhyatmik University;
2) Uttar Pradesh—Varanaseya Sanskrit Viswavidyalaya; Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Viswavidyalaya; Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith; National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy; Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University);
3) Uttar Pradesh—Viswavidyalaya Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Viswavidyalaya; Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad
4) Karnataka—Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society
5) Kerala—St. John's University
6) Maharashtra — Raja Arabic University
7) West Bengal—Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine; Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research
Meanwhile, UGC has also directed the universities of India to begin with the new academic session from November 1, 2020. The first-year classes for undergraduate and postgraduate courses will be beginning in November 2020. The varsities have been asked to wrap up the admission schedule by November 30.