Bombs explode

By Our Staff Reporter
IMPHAL, Jan 12 : Two bombs went off in the wee hours of today at separate residences of Congress intending candidates for the ensuing State Assembly election.
No injuries have been reported so far.
According to reliable sources,  the first incident took place at the residence of former Wangoi AC MLA Salam Joy at around 2.30 am.
Reportedly, some unknown miscreants lobbed a hand grenade  at the gate of Salam Joy's residence at Naorem Chaprou.
Near the blast site, one oil pump is also situated.
A case has been registered at Wangoi police station.
Salam Joy contested the 11th  Manipur Legislative Assembly on BJP ticket but switched allegiance to INC in the 2020 by election.
Denouncing the attack, a sit-in protest was staged in front of the former MLA's house.
In another instance, unknown miscreants set off an IED in front of another Congress intending candidate's house at Kangla Sangomshang.
The house belongs to Khuraijam Ratankumar who is aspiring to contest the State Assembly from Khurai AC.
The gate of the house and one Force Traveller, a  light commercial vehicle, parked inside were damaged in the explosion.
A case has been registered at Lamlai police station.
The locals there staged a protest denouncing the bomb attack.
Meanwhile, some unknown miscreants shot several rounds and pelted stones at one house at Keirao Bitra Awang Leikai under Irilbung police station this midnight.
According to a report culled from the spot, the house belongs to Ningthoujam Herojit (42).
At least two empty cartridges were found at the attack site.
Though the exact motive for the attack is not known, it is suspected that the incident might be related to the ensuing election, according to the owner of the targeted house.
In the previous month, a video of N Herojit's brother N Yamba taking down a BJP flag post went viral on social media.
Reportedly, the whereabouts of Yamba is not known till date .
The locals of Keirao Bitra Awang Leikai staged a protest condemning the attack.
The protesters expressed disappointment that Irilbung police did not show up at the attack site.