Dr Jean-Luc Kouyoumji, Dr Eric Heisel, Luis Lopez
Contd from previous issue
Previously, treatment solution when using traditional chemicals. The treatment solution was disposed after two weeks of use, in the environment nearby the tank. This is because of supplier advice, and also, because of the strong smell caused by butyric fermentation. It is unacceptable to dispose such high amount of treatment solution in the back yard of a facility. This environment pollution was completely eliminated by the new process. Chemical analysis was carried out and an equilibrium for the solution was found, so the solution was kept and used until the last drop.
The industrial facility has a life span, it needs maintenance, and accident can occur. Sensitive parts of the installation are reinforced. For instance, treatment tank is doubled with a second retention tank to overcome leaks or complete lesion of treatment tank. Moreover, under the foundation a tight membrane is implemented.
As a result, the treatment is designed to have no risk for workers, during implementation, and no risk for owners, during lifetime of the construction. Preferably bamboo can be coated with a stain finish, this can even extend its durability against fungi. Concerning end of life of the treated bamboo bars, the chosen treatment product and its concentration is not considered as a dangerous material. It can be recycled easily.
Treatment process flow of 15 stages and treatment efficiency
Bamboo is cut, and it enters immediately the treatment procedure. Each culm has to pass through the product specification quality control. Bamboo is processed as soon as possible after harvesting. Then it is cleaned, hemicellulose are washed out, it is dried, soaked for a certain time depending on the needed level of durability, then the product is dripped wile stored vertically, then dried, then stored, then ready to be sent to the building site.
We applied the European regulation for the choice of active ingredients and their concentration in solutions. The selected active ingredients are authorized in Europe according to the biocide regulation: directive of accepted active ingredient authorization. The active mater is on a positive list of efficiency health and environmental acceptability for their declared uses.
This is very important for class 2 usage as defined on EN 335, “Durability of wood and wood-based products - Use classes: definitions, application to solid wood and wood-based products” Association Bambou Sciences et Innovations // Bamboo Sciences and Innovations Research Centre SIRET : 530 846 468 00011 --- APE : 7219Z (08/08/2007) 14 rue André Messager, 33 520 Bruges, France Tél. +33 952 52 36 38; Cel. +33 6 08 74 36 38, [email protected]
To control effectiveness, tests were performed to identify chemical impregnation and efficiency. Chemical penetration was tested in a recognized and accredited German laboratory. We tested the penetration of active matter in the middle of treated culms of 5 m. Tests were performed on the whole thickness of the wall and also in different depths of the thickness.
Results could enable us to authorize the use with a confident durability conferred by the treatment. Moreover, the treatment in full volume of bamboo wall thickness permits cutting and drilling of bamboo culm without altering the protection conferred by the treatment process.
Synoptic view of the treatment method
Strong points of the “BSInnovations Bamboo Treatment” method
• Simple to implement
• No heavy machine or big energy supply
• No need for a big investment
• No disposal of chemicals (no fermentation, no smell)
• Control treatment and soaking time
• Easy for quality control
• Efficient and reliable, no infestation incident after 6 years
• Procedures for treatment is clear for trained workers
Treatment Facility requirement
• Needs of abundant water to wash bamboo
• Monophasic electricity for water pump
• Featuring of water
• Drying area
• Reinforced security zone for the soaking area, Double tank for environment safety
Treatment facility installation:
• Step 1: the site is identified according to BSInnovations specifications. Visits /Audits are organized in order for BSInnovations experts to validate the site. Special attention is given to location and to the risk to the environment.
• Step 2: Drawings for the treatment facility, equipment, technologies and key features are transferred to the local team.
• Step 3: Construction of the treatment facility, warehouse, storage, safety area, machines and tools.
• Step 4: Audits by BSInnovations experts for launching the site and for training the local team.
• Step 5: running of the sites, efficiency testing of treated products. Implementation and running of quality control procedures.
• Step 6: Annual Quality control and products efficiency testing audit.
(To be contd)